Knitwhitties: A Little Knitting Nothing

I adore simple pleasures. They are the last refuge of the complex. - Oscar Wilde

Sunday, January 31, 2010

Knitting Olympics

As most of you who have been a fan of the Yarn Harlot and then members of ravelry know, the knitting olympics are a time of challenging, frenetic knitting activity. This year, they begin during the opening ceremonies on February 12th, and then continue until February 28th. Yes, I've signed up on ravelry to participate. I joined Team Yarn Harlot, and I intend to conquer my WIP's. What am I going to finish during that two weeks? A Cardigan for Arwen, the Gryffindor scarf, and the Pretty Thing cowl. As past experience has proven, I'm not so convinced I'm going to finish what I actually intend to finish. In fact, I may not finish anything! And that's okay. I've learned to live with the fact that I'm an Olympic failure. Pish! you say? Don't have such a defeatist attitude? Well, on the Cardigan for Arwen I have two sleeves and the cabled band for the front that wraps around the neck. And all of the finishing. Gryffindor Scarf? Another 3 or 4 feet of very, very boring
1x1 rib. And the cowl? Well, I had managed to cast on. So I have all of the rest to do. Many of you would think that this could be done easily in that long span of time. Perhaps I should remind you, it takes me two weeks to make a little watchman's cap!! Wish me luck! And I'll keep you posted.

1 Comments:

  • At 8:25 PM , Anonymous Anonymous said...

    You go into the Olympic competition with the idea that you may not finish. I, on the other hand, go in with a major item to knit (a mitred square afghan) AND additional items in case I finish early. (I can't quite remember what my back-up items were - a shrug I think and a cowl.)

    I was totally devastated to find that people were knitting things that were small enough to be knittable in a day or two. And they DID finish in a day or two!

    Perhaps we should link up - just before the start of the next Knitting Olympics?
    So you do not overburden yourself ... I can quite easily believe that a little watchman's cap can take a couple of weeks to knit.
    And you can convince me that I do not need to overburden myself ... that it is quite permissible to finish in less than two weeks.

    Happy knitting in the meantime,
    Janey
    janeyknitting@yahoo.ca

     

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home

 
counter